Friday, October 19, 2012

A Writer's Week #41: Not So Slow After All

Well, this week has turned out to be rather busy. After finishing the first draft of The Deliverers 2: Order of the Crystal Lion, last week, I was anticipating that this week would give me a chance to sit back and relax a little bit. When I write something, I usually leave it for a week or two before jumping in to edit it. I find it gives me a little bit of perspective to step away for a little bit.

So I haven't really started editing it yet. But I still wound up doing something this week. I rewrote the first chapter. Totally redid it. What is it about first chapters and me? I wound up totally rewriting the first chapter of Sharky and the Jewel not once, but twice. Having said that, I think the new chapter gets the book off to a great start. The reason I had to rewrite it, was that the premise of what upsets Eric changed over the course of the book.

Narrator Jimm Singer
The audio book is coming along, too. Jimm Singer sent me the first four chapters of Sharky and the Jewel to listen to. It sounds fantastic. Jimm is so great at doing all the voices. Chapter four is particularly challenging for a narrator, because there are not less thann ten characters to voice in the chapter. Jimm did a tremendous job with it--totally blew me away with his skill at doing all those characters in quick succession. This audio book is shaping up as being quite a treat. I can't wait to give you a little preview in the coming weeks! Stay tuned.

I have also been in contact with illustrator Daniel Vogel, and we chatted about a concept for the cover art for Order of the Crystal Lion. Yesterday, he sent me a conceptual sketch of the cover. I really liked it. I think the cover is going to turn out really great.

As you can see, it wound up being quite a busy week after all. Now I can get down to the business of editing the book. All told, I'm still on track to release the book by late February or early March. I'll update you on how everything is going next week!

2 comments:

  1. Wow! You did have a busy week! So excited to hear the audio. I love when books are read well and the audio comes to life. I think it is great that you reworked and rewrote the first chapter! I think it shows that you want the book to get off to a great start. I can't wait to read the second book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. There's a lot going on. I'm also getting ready to sell at a few local craft fairs in November, so that will keep me busy. Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete