Monday, February 10, 2014

Between the Lines: Allan Quatermain

Our guest this week is that legendary marksman, Allan Quatermain. He first rose to prominence in the classic King Solomon's Mines. I'm looking forward to find out more about the character that began the "lost world" adventure genre.

Greg:  Welcome Allan. I was hoping that you could tell us a little about how your quest to discover the mythical King Solomon's Mines came about.

Allan:  Certainly. Well you see, it all came about when my good friend Sir Henry Curtis' brother went missing in Africa. He had been searching for King Solomon's Mines, you see. I just so happened to have a map outlining the route to the mines, but had always dismissed it as a fabrication.

Greg:  I see. What changed your mind?

Allan:  In the beginning, nothing. It was really just a shot in the dark. However, as events progressed it became apparent that we might have actually been on to something. Besides, they promised me a share of the treasure or at the very least a payment to my son if I should be unlucky enough to perish on the journey.

Greg:  What were some of the highlights of your journey?

Allan:  An elephant that we shot trampled one of our porters. It was good for us, we got some ivory. It was not so good for the porter, but there you are. We almost died of thirst in the desert. Then we discovered the frozen body of the bloke that drew my map--with his own blood I might add.

Greg:  Ugh! It sounds ghastly.

Allan:  Yes, it was quite cold in the mountains. As a matter of fact, we lost another one of our porters to the cold. We laid him out next to the frozen adventurer to keep him company. Once we got out of the mountains we came to a green valley. We thought we were home and dry after that, but we were mistaken.

Greg:  Oh no. What happened?

Allan:  We were set upon by Kukuana warriors and nearly killed. Even with my expert sharpshooting we were hard pressed to defeat them. However, we were saved at the last minute when my companion, Captain Good, adjusted his false teeth. i can tell by the look on your face you do not believe me, and I must say that I could scarce believe it myself, but it is true. The natives were terrified--they though we were gods. Naturally, we did nothing to dissuade them of this notion.

Greg:  It sounds like a fantastic adventure. Did you ever find the legendary mines of King Solomon?

Allan:  I would rather not divulge everything. You should read the book. However, I will say that the journey was not without its financial rewards.

Greg:  Fair enough. Thank you for taking some time out to speak with us. 

No comments:

Post a Comment