Monday, December 16, 2013

Between the Lines: Frosty the Snowman

Up in our neck of the woods, it snowed all day this past Saturday, and there is more snow on the way tomorrow. With that in mind, I thought it would be appropriate to talk with someone who is extremely familiar with snow. I gave this person a call, and he said he would be more than happy to chat with us. So, without further ado, here's Frosty the Snowman.

Greg:  Hi Frosty, thanks for coming down from the North Pole to spend some time with us.

Frosty:  No trouble at all. It's nice and chilly down here this time of year, so I had no worries about coming so far south. Now if it had been earlier in the year, say July, it would have been impossible--too hot you see.

Greg:  Yes, I see. I guess that means you still spend most of your time with Santa at the North Pole.

Frosty:  Oh yes. It's about the only place where it's cold enough all of the time, although I have heard rumors that with global warming the polar icecaps are shrinking. The other day a group of polar bears passed by Santa's workshop wearing sunglasses and sunscreen, so perhaps the rumors are true. I turned the air conditioning up just in case.

Greg:  Probably a wise thing to do, you can never take chances.

Frosty:  No you never can. Once I took a chance. My friend Karen was cold and I took her into a greenhouse to get warm. I figured it'd be okay to go in for just a minute or two. Things didn't work out like I planned and I wound up as a puddle on the floor. Thank goodness Santa Claus showed up and saved the day.

Greg:  Oh yes, I remember that. Is it true you still visit Karen every Christmas?

Frosty:  Yes. Santa drops me off every Christmas Eve, and Karen and I hang out for a couple of weeks. Sometimes Hocus Pocus the rabbit stops by, too. Just between you and me, he can be a bit much at times. He scampers around quite a bit--a very jittery fellow, but he's a good friend.  I just wouldn't want to have to spend a month with him.

Greg:  What about Professor Hinkle. Do you ever see him?

Frosty:  Not for many years. After Santa gave him his assignment and he got a new hat, I'd see him every once in a while when I'd visit Karen. That all stopped though when he made the semifinals of America's Got Talent.

Greg:  Oh wow, his magic must have improved considerably to make the semifinals. 

Frosty:  Well no, he's still a cruddy magician. He has a fire dancing act now. He learned it on a trip to Borneo. I haven't seen it, but they say it's really hot. Not my cup of tea, really.

Greg:  It's good to hear that everyone seems to be doing well now. Thanks for taking the time to chat with us. It's getting a little chilly in here, do you mind if I put another log on the fire.

Frosty:  No, not at all, as long as you let me put my head in the freezer. On second thought, that's okay. I'll just stand outside and wait for Santa to pick me up. Merry Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment