Wednesday, November 20, 2013

What's Elizabeth Reading? Incantation

This week, young reader Elizabeth is here to tell us a little bit about a book she's been reading. Incantation, by Alice Hoffman is a book that I am not ffamiliar with, so I am anxious to find out a little bit about it. Let's see what Elizabeth has to say.


Here's what Elizabeth says the book is about.

"I am someone 
I never would have imagined. 
A secret. 
A dream... 
body and soul. 
Burn me. 
Drown me. 
Tell me lies. 
I will still be who I am."
                                                     -ESTRELLA DEMADRIGAL 
                               SPAIN 1500

This book takes place in England in the 1500's. Estrella is the main character of the story. She is passionate about what she believes. She enjoys her life with her grandmother, mother, grandfather, and her best friend right next door. But all around her, everybody else is not having as carefree lives as she. Different religions were unjustly treated. Jews and Muslims were treated horribly! I mean, the book said that Jews were locked in at night for goodness sake.

Estrella will be made to question her beliefs, question who she is, and question where her family's loyalties lie. In the end, she will be forced to make a hard decision concerning her and her grandmother's future. This story is great for people who want to know what it was like to live in different time periods in history. There is not a lot of dialogue, but the story still goes into great depth and detail. I loved this book and my only regret is that there is no sequel to this book that I know of because I would have loved to learn what happened to Estrella after the story ended.

So, how did Elizabeth rate Incantation, by Alice Hoffman?

She gave it four out of five blue dragons.






No comments:

Post a Comment