Friday, November 29, 2013

Character Interview: Eric Scott

I hope everyone had a fantastic Thanksgiving. If you decided to venture out today to partake in some Black Friday shopping, I hope you did not get trampled and that you found some worthwhile deals. Today started out rough when I was called into work unexpectedly, but wound up being quite nice because I was able to leave early and go on a little adventure with the family. Fun day, all in all.

Our next character interview flashback is Eric Scott. Here it is exactly as it appeared a couple of years ago:

This week it's Eric's turn to be interviewed on our Sunday interview series. Eric is, of course, the center of the story, and although he has help, it's really all about him (although he doesn't think so). So let's see what Eric had to say during his visit to The Deliverers Publishing Headquarters.


Editor:  Eric, welcome to The Deliverers Publications Headquarters. We’re really happy to have you here.

Eric:  Thank you sir. It’s really great to be here. This place is sweet. Nobody told me you, like, had a mansion for a headquarters. This place is so sick.

Ed.:  Um..okay. I’ll take that as a good thing. So, what was it like to go on an Assignment?

Eric:  It was, like, real strange, but also exciting. I was a little freaked out by Stig at first, but the Gatekeeper was smart to send him, he got my attention. I gotta admit it was scary, but after a while I kind of got used to it. Stig was a big help, too. I kind of felt like I almost grew into the Assignment as I went along.

Ed.:  What was Calendria really like?

Eric:  Well, at first, I thought it was kind of this dumpy little village. I mean, it seemed kind of backward. And the people were all kind of wimpy. They never really tried to fight Sharky. But, you know, I guess they had a good reason. I mean, Sharky was, like, more than 300 years old, so what kind of a chance did they have? But after I got to know everybody there, I think they almost became like family.

Calendria is a great place. I kind of think of it as my second home, now. Life moves a little slower than it does in most of our world. People all know each other. It’s just different.

Ed.:  How were you able to come up with a plan to fight Sharky and his pirates?

Eric:  Uh, I don’t know, really. I, like, just checked out the village. When I saw the harbor, it just kind of clicked. The idea came to me. It was a pretty good plan, I think. I mean, the Lord Mayor and the Council thought so. We were just unlucky. But I don’t think I want to talk about that right now.

Ed.:  What do you think of Stig?

Eric: Oh, Stig’s cool. Sometimes he seemed like too much of a grownup. He kind of wanted to boss Kate and me around a little. But I know he was just looking out for us. Then,  there were times when he just kind of left me alone.  I think he was just letting me get used to the whole Assignment thing.

Stig is now a real good friend. He’s the kind of bird who would do anything for you. I’d do anything for him, too. I’m looking forward to hanging with him again soon. Actually, now that I really think about it, he might be the best friend I ever had.

Ed.:  What do you like to do in your spare time?

Eric: Oh, um, well I used to like to hike, until, well, you know. Now, I like to read, camp out. I like video games, and writing. I like swimming, too. I hope there’s a chance to swim in the next Assignment.

I guess I’m just a regular kid. I like to spend time with my mom. Lately, she’s been a little busy, though. I guess that’ll probably be in the next book.

Ed.:  When Kate was here, we asked her about the rumor that you were more than friends?

Eric:  What did she say?

Ed.: She said that you were just good friends, and that she looked forward to working with you in the future.

Eric:  Oh, uh, yeah. That’s right, just good friends. I do miss her, and Hallo, too. I can’t really explain it, but  when I was in Calendria with Stig, Kate, Hallo, and everyone, I felt, for the first time since my father died, that I belonged somewhere. That I was—happy.

Ed.:  How has the release of the book changed your life?

Eric:  Well, I’ve been trying to keep a low profile. My friends here don’t really believe it, so I don’t really go, you know, advertising it. I’m glad people are liking the book. They tell me that it’s a great story, but I can see that they don’t really believe that it happened.

I suppose that’s good. It keeps me from having to answer a lot of questions. People think I just let you guys use my name. So, I’m kind of a celebrity, but for the wrong reason. It can be frustrating at times.

Ed.:  Yes, well thank you very much for taking the time to sit down with us. We look forward to seeing what transpires in future Assignments. Will you need any help finding your way out?

Eric:  You’re welcome. This place is almost as big as the Dwarf Kiingdom, but I should be okay. Kate gave me some good directions. The only problem is the gallery near the north tower, but she told me where the secret door is.

Ed.:  Oh, rats. Well, shout if you need me.

2 comments:

  1. Hallo is one of my favorite characters! Great interview!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hallo is a lot of fun to write. Sometimes he has me laughing as I write. He's also got a big heart and he's very supportive of everyone. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

      Delete