Friday, June 28, 2013

A Writer's Week #75: The Characters Show the Way

We've reached the end of another busy work/writer's week. It was pretty hectic, but also satisfying. I apologize for not posting Wednesday. It was my daughter's ninth birthday, and we were celebrating. The rest of the week was a blur as school came to an end and the kids leaped into summer with birthday (pool parties) and other fun activities.

In the midst of all this, I made some real progress on The Golden Dragon of Ang. While I only wrote 1,750 words, short of my 2,000 weekly goal, I turned a perplexing plot snag into something pretty cool. Eric & Co. were in a tight fix, but they had discovered a way to travel instantly to anywhere, provided they had something that came from the place they wanted to go. Luckily, someone had something from the island they wanted to get to. They arrived in the back of the shop of the silversmith who crafted the item.

That's where I came to a dead end. What were they going to do now? I really didn't know. I kept writing, and that's when the old silversmith showed up and started talking. I had to stop and mull things over. I did not have time to write for a couple of days. When I was able to sit down again, I still had no idea what this scene would contribute to the story. I began writing. As I wrote the old man began talking with the Deliverers. It was quite a conversation. In fact, the old man, Chenpo, kept right on talking. Again, I began to worry. What was this adding to the story? Would I have to trash the whole scene??

As I wrote, the old man revealed more about himself. Then it happened. Kate made an offhand
remark, and Chenpo finally earned his keep by providing some critical information. The scene instantly became relevant. This was one of those situations where the characters took over and sorted out the situation on their own.

All in all, it was a very satisfying feeling to have a scene work itself out just as I was ready to junk it. The book is now up to 42,500 words, 43 chapters and 187 pages.

I heard from illustrator Daniel Vogel this week, and he's fine tuning one of the illustrations for Order of the Crystal Lion. I know the book is taking longer to release than anticipated, but I promise you it will be worth the wait. I should have the completed layout and illustrations soon, then it will go to the publisher. I'll let you know when we have some progress, hopefully next week. Have a good one!

2 comments:

  1. Glad to hear that Daniel is busy working on the illustrations for book 2. He is a talented guy!

    Also, I love when characters can sort things out themselves. :) Happy writing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, things should be ready soon. If writing does anything, it teaches patience! Thanks for stopping by. It's always great to hear from you!

      Delete