Monday, January 21, 2013

Monday Interview Series: The Boy Who Cried Wolf

This week we've got a very special guest, Mr. Harry Potter! Ha, got you! No, we couldn't get Harry. I was fibbing. Well, okay, lying actually. Sorry, but I just couldn't help myself. You see, our guest today is one of the most famous liars of all time. I'm talking of course about the Boy Who Cried Wolf.

Greg:  Hello and welcome. It's very nice to have you here.

Boy:  It's very nice to be here. Funny you should mention Harry Potter because he and I are very good friends.

Greg:  You are? Well, that's strange. I hadn't heard anything about that.

Boy:  Oh yes, always we're hanging out together. I'd go up to Hogwarts to spend the holidays with him, he comes over to the field to help keep the wolves at bay. He's a real wizard with a wand is Harry. Big help when it comes to frightening away wolves and all.

Greg:  Really? That seems a bit far fetched to me. You're not just making that up are you?

Boy:  Oh no, no. Well, yes, a bit. You got me. Me and Harry aren't as close as all that. In fact, um, he doesn't really know me. But I'm a big fan of his. Well, that's not strictly true. To be totally honest, I've never met him, just thought it'd be fun if he were my friend, that's all. It's just a harmless bit of fun.

Greg:  Do you lie like this often?

Boy:  No, not often. Oh, well probably more than your average boy, but that doesn't necessarily mean often. You might say I don't tell the truth somewhere between frequently and often.

Greg:  But why?

Boy:  Why? Why? Because I'm the Boy Who Cried Wolf, that's why. I mean, what else am I supposed to do?

Greg:  Well, it's just that I though the incident with the wolves would have discouraged you from any further lying. I thought that was the whole moral of the story.

Boy:  Oh it was. Sure, obviously. That was the whole moral of thee story. Tell too many lies, and no one will believe you when you're telling the truth, blah, blah, blah. All very true. No one should ever lie. I want to stress that in no uncertain terms. But it's just not me. Try as I might, I just can't stop lying. 

Greg:  But why?

Boy:  Because I'm the Boy Who Cried Wolf. I can't do anything else. It's in my nature, I suppose. I tried telling the truth. I really did. But it's just so much fun to make things up. People get so upset. It's funny, I tell you.

Greg:  Hmmm. It doesn't sound funny. You can really get people into trouble by lying, not to mention yourself.

Boy:  Too true, too true. I know. I witnessed that firsthand, but I still can't help myself. I've tried everything, clinics, medicine, shock treatment. Nothing works.

Greg:  Really?

Boy:  No, not really. I'm lying again. I admit it. Boy, you're easy.

Greg:  I guess that brings our discussion to an end. Too bad, because I really enjoyed myself. You're fascinating to talk to.

Boy:  Well, that's very nice of you to say.

Greg:  Well guess again, because I was lying!

Boy:  I'm shocked. Really? How deflating.

Greg:  No, not really. I lied about lying. It's really been a lot of fun.

Boy:  That's good, because I didn't want both of us to be lying about enjoying ourselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment