Wednesday, October 17, 2012

What's Marissa Reading? The Outsiders

Marissa is here to talk to you about a really exciting book that she's been reading, The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton. It's really great to see children and young adults who love reading as much as the members of the Reading Crew! It's true--a good book expands your world.


Here's what Marissa says the book is about.

"It's the 1960's in Oklahoma and right now there are two types of social classes. You are a Soc if you have money, a tuff (cool) car, and a future. You are a Greaser if you live in the hood and almost everyone, especially Soc's, hate you. In this book a boy named Ponyboy and his gang, Dallas Winston, Johnny Cade, Two-Bit, Steve, and his brothers Sodapop and Darrel are always together...and getting into trouble. On one night Ponyboy and Johnny get into some real trouble and are on the run from the fuzz. Their adventure is thrilling and leaves you on the edge of your seat encouraging you to keep reading, I love it!!!"

What did Marissa like best about the book?

"I liked how the Greasers weren't afraid to throw around their title and show who they are even if it does mean getting nearly killed. I also liked when the Greasers and Socs got together for a big fight, the rumble. Plus I think it's cool how S.E Hinton wrote the book when she was 15 and 16!"

Was there anything about the book that Marissa didn't like?

"I didn't like how the Socs got into a lot of trouble with the Greasers just because they were drunk. I also didn't like how at the end Ponyboy let his grades slip so  Darry got mad at him and that made Sodapop really  mad."
 
So, how did Marissa rate The Outsiders, by S.E. Hinton.

She gave it five out of five baby giraffes.

4 comments:

  1. I read this book many moons ago! I really enjoyed it. Reading Marissa's fantastic review made me want to reread this one again soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Marissa always writes a great review. I haven't read this before, but I think I'm going to have to.

      Delete
  2. Hi Marissa... I read and have loved The Outsiders forever! It inspired me to write my first novel when I was a teenager. Although, this bears only little resemblance to that first novel, my young adult debut novel, VIGILANTE NIGHTS, reminescent of The Outsiders, comes out in July 2013. I'd love for you to review it when the time comes if you're up for it! I just followed your blog here.

    Thanks,
    Erin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Erin,
      If you have a pdf review copy, you can send it to me and I'll pass it on to Marissa so she can take a look at it.
      Thanks,and good luck with the book!
      Greg

      Delete