Friday, August 24, 2012

A Writer's Week #33: What We Did On Our Holiday

This was a very relaxing week. As I mentioned in last week's post, I was on vacation this week. It was great not having to think about work, The Deliverers: Sharky and the Jewel, writing, or even--dare I say it?--this blog. Once again a big thank you to Marissa for guest hosting this week!

The family poses for a group shot in Maine
So, like I said, I had a great time kicking back with the family up in New Hampshire and Maine for a few days. We sat on the beach, took day trips to Maine, shopped, swam, ate, saw the sights--typical tourist stuff.

This year, I tried not to eat so much, and I was reasonably successful there. I also made it a point to exercise at least once a day, as I'd lost 7 pounds going into vacation and wanted to at least hold steady. Stephanie is a big runner, and Abigail is always up for a run, so we walked up and down the boardwalk every morning, and threw in some sprints (about 4 sets) in between. I made it out every day but one, so mission accomplished there.

I haven't weighted myself yet (chicken!), but plan to tomorrow morning. I'm guessing I gained one or two pounds, but my clothes still feel loose, so I think I'm okay.

Abby on the beach in New Hampshire
We had great weather the whole time we were there. The only dodgy day was Saturday, which was the day we arrived. I've got a great shot of Abby among the dunes on our evening beach crawl.

The sea is so relaxing. I just love to sit on a rock and watch the waves come in. So now I'm back, relaxed and refreshed. While I successfully forgot about work and marketing The Deliverers, I was less successful when it came to forgetting about The Deliverers 2. While I really did not write anything this week (which is the way I planned it), I could not stop thinking about the book--most specifically about the problem that arose last week.

Abby & Dad working while playing
So, contrary to my plan, I went to CVS and bought a notebook (I didn't bring my laptop or any paper on the trip--no paper, no write). I wrote out my dilemma, and wrote down some alternatives. Once I got every possibility down on paper, it did not take long to choose what I think was the proper path.

From there, I outlined the story through to its conclusion. I think I know how the rest will all play out, although I still have my doubts about a couple minor points. I all makes sense now, and everyone who needs to be present at the climax will be.

After that, it was back into vacation mode. I didn't think about the book again until I got home last night. Then I sat down and made all the necessary changes while saving the climactic scene for later. It may not play out like I originally wrote it, but there are a lot of elements there that I want to retain.

So, my actual writing output this week was actually -300 words or so. I'm down to 40, 700 as I cut a scene or two and rewrote a couple of chapters. I'm planning on moving forward again in the coming week, and hope to hit my goal of 2,000 words. I'll let you know how I make out in a week. For now, I'll leave you with a few "holiday snaps."

Morning swim in New Hampshire


Marginal Way, Ogunquit, Maine





9 comments:

  1. So glad you were able to get away and relax. It is good to let everyting go for a little bit. I think it is impossible to shut off your brain- so it makes sense that you were trying to work out Book 2. Getting the notebook may have helped you lay those thoughts to rest for a little bit. Great photos! I especially like the one of Abby on the dunes- the sky is such an interesting color. Welcome back and happy writing!
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Yes, it's hard for me to get my brain to stop working. I'm hoping to get back to writing tomorrow. Thanks for the picture feedback. That sky was very striking--pitch black in the east, and the sunset slanting under the clouds to the west. Luckily, there wasn't any rain!

      Delete
  2. Love your photos! Just over from Book Blogs (in response to your email)have followed with GFC & would appreciate a follow back.
    Thanks Barbara
    http://marchhousebookscom.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Barbara,
      Thanks for your kind words. I love your blog, and I'm a follower!
      ~Greg

      Delete
  3. Had a house in Lymouth NH and u made me long for my days of rope swinging up there love the pics

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Renee. It's so beautiful up there--wish I could go more than once a year! Thanks for following. I'm now following you!
      Greg

      Delete
  4. I like how you put the words underneth the picures! I really like the pictures you took! I like your book alot I'm already on chapter five. - Greg

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay I will keep on reading the book so it's gets even better. I hope you had A fun vacation.

    ReplyDelete