Friday, July 13, 2012

A Writer's Week #27: Sticking to the Goal

The writing of the new book continued this week. I was worried that I wouldn't be able to keep up the pace. I had set a goal of 2,000 words a week on The Deliverers 2, and for a while there I thought that I wasn't going to make it. Thankfully, I was able to write just under 2,100 words, thanks to some inspiration on Thursday evening.

All in all, I'm pretty satisfied with the new book, so far. I'm still not sure how I'm going to get there, although I'm pretty sure about where I'll eventually wind up. I've reached 32,000 words, in 37 chapters and 148 pages.

So I'm still chugging along. Each week brings a new challenge to overcome in the struggle to write. When I do write, I can write a lot fairly quickly. Unless I get stuck.

Right now, I'm in a fertile period, which makes me wish I had a whole week off in a mountain cabin. I'd get the rest of the first draft finished and be into rewrites. But, that's not going to happen. Oh well, it's nice to know that I'm close enough to finishing that it's at least conceivable. 


There's nothing much to report on the marketing front. Sales of The Deliverers: Sharky and the Jewel have hit a summer skid, but I'm really not that concerned. I'm too busy working on the next one. Oh yes, and I had a flash of inspiration for the third book. I have no real plot idea yet, but I think this is going to be a great theme. We'll see. 


The other bit of news concerns this blog. I'm on a crusade to reach at least 100 followers by the end of July. Right now, I'm at 93. If you're a follower, thank you. If you're not, there's a Join This Site button to the left of this post. If you've got a Google account, please follow. Oh, and don't forget to tell your friends! 


The goal for next week is the same--write at least 2,000 words and come up with interesting things to write about on the blog. Once again I'll let you know how I did next week.

4 comments:

  1. I'm following your blog from Book Blogs!
    Follow me back, please, at:
    thisxgirlxreads.blogspot.com

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for following! I'm following you as well!

      Delete
  2. Hi Gregory,

    I like your blog. And your book sounds interesting so I'm going to do all the items on your list to get points. I don't have a blog to follow yet, but I am on twitter and I have a website. I'm trying to connect with readers and authors and get my books out by word of mouth.

    I enjoyed your blog about how many words you go for in a week, and the whole cabin thing. Wouldn't that be nice when you're on a roll. I'm in the middle of rewriting my Urban Fantasy, Affinity right now. More than halfway through. Whew!

    Mary
    @MaryMerrell7
    www.maryemerrell.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mary,
      Thanks for following and entering the giveaway. I'll check you out on Twitter and your website as well. It's tough getting the word out, I know. But for me meeting people such as yourself who are doing the same thing is a blast.

      The maddening thing about writing for me is I always have so much to write when I have no time, then when I have no time I can dry up. Oh well, that's why setting a goal like 2,000 words a week is so important for me.

      Thanks for reading!
      Greg

      Delete