Wednesday, June 27, 2012

What's Marissa Reading? Red Scarf Girl

Since Abigail has not finished a book this week, and since Christian read a book that he's already reviewed, their cousin Marissa is pinch hitting again. She's read a very interesting book this week, Red Scarf Girl by Ji Li Jiang.

This memoir looks really interesting. Let's find out what Marissa had to say about it.


 Here's what Marissa says the book is about.

"It takes place during the Chinese Cultural Revolution in 1966. Ji Li Jiang is living a great life. She has brains, respect, and a great future. But things aren't right in communist China, Chairman Mao is taking control but hiding it from all of his people. So Ji Li is still loyal to the chairman and ignores all of the things people are telling her. But as her years go on she sacrifices things like her friends, her reputation, and even her father. Will she come out of Chairman Mao's brainwash? Or will she stay under his command forever? Read the book to find out!"

This is what Marissa liked best about the book.

"I liked how whatever Ji Li went through she always kept fighting for what she believed in."

Was there anything she didn't like?

"I liked it, but it wasn't really my genre. It was half way between fiction and non-fiction. But if you like that kind of stuff its phenomenal, even if you don't (like me) it's still a wonderful book!"

So, how did Marissa rate Red Scarf Girl by Ji Li Jiang?

She gives it four out of five baby giraffes.


3 comments:

  1. Good review Marissa! I'm definetly looking it up at my local library.

    Your cousin,
    Christian

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Christian! Tell me what you think if you read it. I will see you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that Marissa used giraffes! I have never read this book- but it sounds interesting. I will most likely give it a try!

    ReplyDelete