Friday, May 18, 2012

A Writer's Week: Nothing to Shout About

This week was probably my toughest, writing-wise, since I started this column at the beginning of the year. For one thing, I did not do much promotion at all. After making the Kindle edition of my book free for three days last week, I'm just sitting back now to give folks a chance to read it. I'm hoping I'll get a few reviews out of that over the next month or so.

For the first time in a few weeks, I didn't have any school visits scheduled. I was kind of bummed about that, because they're a lot of fun. I love to see the kids, and hear about what they're writing. Last week, a lot of the class had uploaded my book on their Kindles (during the free promotion), and they all seemed excited to finish reading it.

About the only productive thing I managed to do was jot down a couple of alternate ideas for Stig to help out Eric, Kate & Hallo. I've got Stig doing something that's a little out of character, so I have to come up with something else. My ideas on the subject were okay, but I wasn't thrilled with them.



It's not a huge thing, but it's become a real sticking point, and it's kind of demotivated me a bit. Now, I know this won't last forever, but it's really aggravating me. I may be overthinking things just a bit. It doesn't help that my free time has been limited lately. Oh well, this too shall pass--eventually.


Things are not all black. Next week, I'll be making another school visit. I'll be giving three 20 minute talks about what inspires me as a writer after hours to students and their parents. Now, I've also got some meetings after work this week, so time will still be at a premium, but I hope that I'll get off the snide this week. Anyway, I'll tell you all about what happens--or doesn't--next week.

2 comments:

  1. I think we all have weeks like the one you mentioned! Especially after we have a really big week. Hopefully kids and adults are finishing up your book and are getting ready to write reviews and spread the love! Your school visit for this coming week sounds very exciting. I hope Eric and friends show you what you are looking for- because I know how it is to get stuck in a spot. I know you will work through it. Maybe you need to take a hike to your inspiration spot for Calendria!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the encouragement! Last night, I think I came up with a solution. It will require a fair amount of revision, but it will make for a stronger story. Now, the only obstacle is finding the time to actually rewrite things and expand on some new themes that will be popping up as a result!

      Delete