Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Did You Know? Johnny Tremain

This week, I decided to find out a little bit more about one of my favorite children's historical fiction novel, Johnny Tremain by Esther Forbes. I have not read this book in a number of years. I've decided that I've got to go back and read it again!


Did You Know...
  • According to Publisher's Weekly, Johnny Tremain is the 16th most popular children's paperback of all time? This was as of 2001.
  • Johnny Tremain won the 1944 Newbery Medal?
  • Esther Forbes began writing the book the day after Pearl Harbor was bombed? She finished it in 1943, two years later.
  • In addition to the Newbury Medal, Esther Forbes won the Pulitzer Prize? She won that her biography of Paul Revere.
  • Esther Forbes was an editor and journalist? She worked at Houghton Mifflin and wrote for the Boston Evening Transcript.
  • Forbes' mother helped her with the research for Johnny Tremain?
  • Esther Forbes wrote a number of historical novels set in New England before writing Johnny Tremain? 
  • Clark University awarded her an honorary Doctor of Letters degree?
  • She was the first woman member of the American Antiquities Society?
  • She willed all royalties from her books to the American Antiquities Society after her death?
All in all, a fascinating person. I would have loved to have met her and picked her brain on New England history during the Revolution. I think I'll have to see if I can get my hands on some of her other books, especially Paul Revere and the World He Lived In. 

This week, the clip I'm including is a promo from the Disney film version of Johnny Tremain. I recommend this film. Disney cuts some deaths out of the picture, but it's still reasonably true to the book, especially compared to some film adaptations of the mid 20th century.


No comments:

Post a Comment