Friday, March 30, 2012

A Writer's Week #13: The Middle of the Marathon

This was a fantastic week! It had the best of all possible things; a busy, productive work week, fun with the family, a decent amount of writing, a satisfying marketing accomplishment, and even a few book sales.



The writing came pretty easily this week. I wrote about 1,500 words, and I would have written more, but I started a project that took up some time. I'm at the point in the book where I'm just keeping at it, plugging away. I'm having fun writing, but at this point it's like a marathon where the exhileration of the start has given way to marking the miles as they go by. Sometimes I feel pretty good, like the guy on the right in the picture above. At other times, I'm feeling kind of flat, like the flapjack next to him (yes, that's a flapjack--it said so in the caption). I'm working on delivering (no pun intended) a great story, while gearing up for a strong finish. We'll see how everything turns out.

I was able to write and produce my own video book trailer this week. It turned out very nicely, and I'm like a new parent right now, full of pride and optimism. I've posted it everywhere I can think of, including at the bottom of my blog, and in yesterday's post. Here's a link to it on YouTube. Please share it everywhere you can, and let me know what you think.

This week was also great because it marked the seventh anniversary of Gotcha Day, the day we picked up Abigail in China. We celebrate it every year. I wrote a post about adopting Abby a while back. Every day, we can't believe how incredibly blessed we are for having Abby and her big brother Christian.

So, as you can see, it was a truly spectacular week, but now it's back to the marathon. I can't wait to find out what's around the next bend.

8 comments:

  1. Congratulations! Hope you have a wonderful time this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just checked out the book trailer and it is fantastic! I thought it was very powerful. You should be proud of accomplishing that project this week. Glad you were also able to fit in some writing time. I liked your comparison to a marathon! Congratulations on Abby's Gotcha Day. How cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know the writing and editing process for the first book was like two marathons! Hopefully, this one will be easier. So far it is, but then I haven't tried editing it yet.

      Thanks for the feedback on the trailer. Please share it with as many people as you can.

      Delete
    2. I don't enjoy running- so I think I might be able to count my writing and editing as marathon running. I like that!

      I shared the trailer to my fb page and I put a link to it up on my class website for my students. I plan to tell them about it tomorrow. Hopefully they will check it out. :)

      Delete
    3. Thanks, for posting the trailer, Stephanie! I think a good writing session will burn a few calories. I know at times it feels like I've been running after I get done writinng! :) Trying to chase some ideas today--not having much success.

      Delete
  3. Excellent post! It sounds like last week was an all around great week! Congrats on Abby's Gotcha Day! Also- great job writing. I can relate to the marathon analogy. :) Love the trailer!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. This week is going to be a marathon as well. I don't know how much I'll write this week, but we shall see.

      Thee book trailer seems to be a hit. Everyone likes it. A lot of people seem to relate to video more than print, so it's good to have something people can watch.

      Delete