Friday, March 23, 2012

A Writer's Week #12: A Hectic Week

This was a challenging week at work. There was a lot of stuff going on. We were prepariing for the beginning of a four month training initiative for a new system that will affect a large portion of the company. Things have been getting down to the wire the last few days, with some last minute changes making for some late nights. Thank goodness I'm part of a great team that works well together. Everyone pitches in, which is a blessing.

In spite of that, I still managed to have a decent writing week. I wrote a little over 1,500 words. I was also able to map out much of the remaining plot line for the new book, tying together a lot of loose ends. I still haven't been able to weave together all the thematic threads, but I think I can see where there will be opportunities to do so. I'll have to leave the actual doing up to the characters. It will be fun to watch the story as it unfolds!



On the marketing side, my efforts to promote The Deliverers: Sharky and the Jewel have been somewhat successful. I launched a promotion, the Spring Has Sprung Giveaway. By the way, you still have time to enter by becoming a follower of this blog and/or liking the book's Facebook page. The prize is a $25 Amazon gift card and a signed copy of my book.

I also reconnected with a mentor, Louise Ladd. She's a children's book writer with a couple of series (The Double Diamond Dude Ranch Series and The Anywhere Ring Series)  to her credit. She also is a freelance editor, aka The Book Doctor. She had been very helpful to me when I first started The Deliverers. She encouraged me to pare down my first three original chapters into one, which really made the beginning tighter and faster paced. Anyway, I'm sending her the book and she's going to look it over and give me some quotes to use for promotion. It's the first small step for me to use testimonials to promote the book. Wish me luck.

I had a decent sales week this week, so I'm back in the saddle on that score. It's funny, but when I have a bad sales period, it makes me more aggressive trying to drum up sales. Wish I could be so outgoing all the time. But hey, I'm a writer. I'm a better observer than talker.

Anyway, I'm energized to have a really great writing week. We'll see how well that works out. I'll talk with you again next week!

2 comments:

  1. Glad you were able to get some writing together and you worked out more of your storyline! How awesome that your sales were better this week. I am hoping your giveaway will drum up a lot of new followers because you have an awesome blog. I am thrilled for you that you reconnected with a mentor. Fingers crossed for some great quotes to use!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. It's a fun blog. I enjoy doing it. The book is moving forward again, so that's exciting!

      Delete