Friday, February 24, 2012

A Writer's Week #8: The Kindness of Friends

Tonight was one of those nights that reminded me how blessed and fortunate I am. It was also a reminder of what's really important. As a writer trying to market my book, I can start fixating on how many books I've sold, how frequently they sell, and how to market the thing.

I have to say that I'm a terrible marketer because I don't like to toot my own horn. I've been trying to overcome that over the last three and a half months since The Deliverers: Sharky and the Jewel was published. So, like I said it's hard not to obsess about it all.



But really, that's not important. What is important, and I've written about this before, are the children that come up to me to tell me that they liked the book, and will I be writing another. It's the children, and a surprising number of adults, who tell me they've always wanted to write a book, and how much they admire the hard work and dedication it must have taken to follow my dream and actually do something they've always wanted to do.

Sometimes I lose sight of that. My wife Stephanie always reminds me of the fact, but it usually takes others saying it to really open my eyes. Like tonight. We went to a fish fry that our church was hosting. It was packed, and we knew a good portion of the people there.

We sit down, and a few people come up and congratulated me on the book. One mother introduces her son who loves to write. It all feels good. So we're sitting talking to another family, and another lady we know comes up. She's a teacher, and we had given her some bookmarks to hand out at her school. She came and asked us if we had any more bookmarks. Luckily we did. We gave them to her and she starts going to all the tables, handing them out.

Now, I would never have had the guts to do that myself. I don't want to be too pushy. That's why I'm not a salesperson. But her act of kindness and belief, and even pride, in me was really something that no amount of book sales could match. Will anyone buy the book as a result? Who knows. But knowing that friends are there to help spread the word is so uplifting.

That's just the latest example of friends who have spread the word. There have been other examples too numerous to mention. I appreciate and am flabbergasted by it all. Thanks.



Now, after all that you might be wondering how the writing went this week. Well, I managed to write 1,400 words, which was less than I had hoped. For those of you keeping score at home, that brings me into chapter 18 and up to a little more than 15,000 words. Still a long way to go, but I'll keep plugging.

The story will have to move forward now that most of The Deliverers are reunited. The going might get slower, or I could be inspired. We'll have to see what happens. I'll let you know next week.

10 comments:

  1. What a wonderful story! I am right there with you- being a salesperson for your own book isn't easy. I tend to blush a lot, so I always feel unsure when people start to ask me about my book (especially since it isn't published yet). It is so great that you have other people to help get your name out there. Passing out bookmarks to the other tables is one way of getting your name and book into people's heads. Some may pop by and buy your book- or they may do so the next time they hear of your work. It is so nice that word is getting around about your book. I am so happy for you!! :) The kindness of others is awesome!

    Great job writing! Sometimes it is slow going- life can be so busy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I blush a lot as well, especially when they say, "yYou wrote a book? That's great!", and instead of something witty, all I can think of to say is that it's pretty cool.

      Oh well, hopefully word will spread slowly but surely. The writing is coming along. I can't get too wrapped up in the deadlines I set for myself. I don't want to rush it just to meet them.

      Delete
    2. I agree with you- don't rush the writing. It isn't worth it! Better to get writing down on paper that is quality.

      Word is spreading. Every time you talk to someone about your book it spreads. Just think- on Friday you will spread the word to 22 fifth graders! :)

      Delete
    3. I'm looking forward to meeting them! Patience is not always onne of my virtues, both when writing, and when marketing, so I guess this whole experience is a great life lesson.

      Delete
  2. Friends are fantastic, aren't they? Very thoughtful and well written post.
    I wish you good luck with your writing this upcoming week!

    New to your blog :o)
    Stephanie
    My Latest Post|Enter my Giveaway

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Welcome to the blog! You're blog is great, by the way!

      Delete
  3. How great! I love when other people help to spread the news. It shows how much people are enjoying your writing. This story made me smile. Nice to have friends like that. :)

    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it reminds me that I'm not alone--there are others who believe in me! I smile every tme I think of it.

      Delete
  4. Awesome story! Sometimes marketing ourselves can be really difficult. My blog is new and my first thought is always "why would anyone care what I have to say about books..." but I write it anyway (thanks to Jess). What do I get out of it? A chance to put my thoughts about the books I read into words and get them out of my head. What do others get? Well, I have no idea... hopefully an idea of a new book to read or a new insight on a book they have already read.

    Keep writing and keep blogging! I look forward to reading yours and hopefully I will read your book soon!

    --Dawn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd like you to read it, and hear what you think! Yes, you're right. Writing is a solitary endeavor, and you have no idea if anyone will care to read it, so ultimately you have to write to satisfy yourself. The writing process has to be enjoyable, otherwise it's not worth doing.

      Delete