Friday, February 17, 2012

A Writer's Week #7: Reunited & It Feels So Good

No, this is not a Valentine's Day post. It's also not a salute to the '70's and Peaches & Berb (look it up, kids). This is a post about my writing week. Again, it was hard to find time to write this week. I'm happy to report, though, that I did all right.



I managed to write a little more than 1,800 words for the Book That's Yet to be Named, otherwise known as the sequel to The Deliverers: Sharkey and the Jewel. I'm now up to the start of chapter 16.

So where does the whole reunited theme come in you ask? I mentioned last week that I've got all my characters running around creation, working on different parts of the story. I had said that soon I'd have to find a way to bring them back together. Well, I've managed the get 75% of my group reunited. Now, there's only one more roaming character to corral. I don't think that will happen for a little bit, though.

That's not what's got mme worried, however. I actually sat down and did the math on this book. I have a goal to finish the first draft by the end of April. I figure the book will be about 50,000 words or so. I've written about 13, 600 words so far. I've got about 10 1/2 weeks until May 1st. I've been averaging about 1,500 words a week. Hmmm, 1500 x 10.5 weeks = less than 16,000 words, which would leave me less than 60% of the way there...

It seems I'm going to have to step up my game. We'll see if I can. It's hard to devote more than a couple of nights to writing at this point. Well, time will tell how this will play out. In the meantime, I'm going to celebrate the fact that I've got three quarters of the band back together. Here's some classic 70's soulfulness:
:


2 comments:

  1. I love this song- and now I will be singing it all night. :) I am glad you were able to get some good writing time in. It may seem tough now to get more writing in, but you never know- you could have a couple weeks where you get a lot more writing in for some reason. At least you are continuing to work and progress. Awesome that you were able to reunite most of the characters! Happy writing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm hoping that as I get closer to the end, the writing will come more quickly, and I'll need to write more. Still, I guess there's no real harm done if it takes a little longer!

    ReplyDelete