Friday, February 10, 2012

A Writer's Week #6: Nice Week

Here we are almost halfway through February, and we've hardly seen a single snowflake this winter. I know it's hard on skiers, and folks who plow, but you won't see me crying about it. We had one big storm in late October, and a storm that dumped six and a half inches on us in January, but other than that--zip, zilch, nada!


Needless to say, the weather was beautiful here in Connecticut this past week. Since I did not have to shovel anything, I was able to use that valuable time to write. I was able to add about 1,400 words all told. That puts me at the start of chapter 13. I'd say that I'm about a quarter through the story at this point.

So far, I have characters scattered here, there and everywhere. They're off doing things on their own and meeting all sorts of characters. If they ever make a movie of this book, there will be quite a large supporting cast. All of them are adding something to the story, which is what you want, but sometimes it's hard to keep track of everyone. I don't think it will be that way for the reader, but it's something I'll have to keep my eye on.

I think that now, Eric, Stig, Kate and Hallo have met just about everyone that they're going to. I'll have to bring everyone back together now so that the story will be able to move forward, which will take some thought. It was realtively easy to split them up, but now they have to reunite plausibly.

It looks like that process will start this week. I'm also going to go back and read what I've written for the first time. I'm praying that when I do I won't say, "Oh man, why the heck did I write that?!" Well, I'll let you know how that goes next week!

2 comments:

  1. It sounds like you got a lot of writing done this week. That is fantastic! I am with you on the snow thing! So happy not to have to shovel. I don't ski- and I don't like to be cold.

    Good luck rereading what you have written. I hope it all flows nicely and inspires you in regards to where the characters and story need to go next!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jess! We dodged another storm today. I'm going to reread tonight, keep your fingers crossed that I won't have to change much!

    ReplyDelete