Friday, February 3, 2012

A Writer's Week #5: Overcoming A Challenge

This week has been exciting, but strange. The book signing  for The Deliverers: Sharky and the Jewel was fantastic, but it threw my schedule all out of whack, from my blog posting to my writing. The signing was on Sunday, which is usually my big writing day. So, while I had a great time and sold a lot of books, it was looking like I was going to sacrifice writing this week.


I felt like this a lot this week!

Ah, but it didn't work out that way. Even though I can be a very lazy writer, I buckled down and was able to write over 1,000 words during the week. I was still able to make regular blog posts, too! So, I'm still on track for my goal to have the first draft of the new book finished by the end of April.

Right now I'm over 10,000 words in, deep in to chapter 11. I still don't know what this one's going to be called. All I've got is The Deliverers: ..., the subtitle has eluded me. Oh well, I still have 80% to go.

I keep running in to characters in this book. Eric ran into two (literally) this week. I don't know where they're coming from, but they all seem to be adding something to the story, so I'll just go with it. I think these two will be a lot of fun, and maybe add a comic aspect that will lighten things up a bit. Their names are Chunk and Cyril. They've got an important role to play, but hopefully they'll make you chuckle a little, too.

That's my writer's week for week #5 of 2012. It was a very successful one all the way around. I'm really proud that I was able to stick to it and get some real writing accomplished. This weeked is beckoning, and although I've got a full schedule, I have some time earmarked to write. I'll let you know how it went next week.

5 comments:

  1. sounds like you're getting on really well Greg! I try and keep to a routine but it often gets interupted. Just write whenever you can. I carry a notebook around with me and jot down ideas when they occur to me - that way I never lose any of those crucial plot points that always occur to me when I'm driving or cleaning... Keep up the good work! And don't worry about the title; it'll be there when you've finished the first draft.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Freya. You're right. I do have a little notebook to scribble on when I need to. This book has developed more organically than the first one, which came in fits and starts. I guess I've got more confidence the second time around.

    Good luck with your writing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is fantastic that you were able to get some writing in this week. Sometimes it is hard if Sunday is super busy- which your Sunday was. Also- great job sticking to your blog schedule- I know you varied up the posts- but that made it interesting and exciting. You were also able to stick to some of the original blog posts, so you had consistency.

    Glad to hear the second book is moving along so smoothly! Happy writing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I bet you must be tired after such a crazy week! I think it is awesome that you were able to get some real writing in, along with blogposts, work, and everything else! I don't know if you will be able to get much writing in today with the Super Bowl- but good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jess--I got some writing in yesterday, and am writing now. I've got to hurry and get it in before tonight! I'm finding it's getting easier for me to sit down, clear my head, and write at a set time every week. That's new for me, I never was able to do that before. Does that mean I'm getting more disciplined?

    ReplyDelete