Saturday, February 18, 2012

What's Christian Reading? The Last Olympian

   

Christian is an avid 4th grade reader. This post is about what he's reading. This is by no means an actual review, just his comments on whatever book he's reading at the time.

He does rate each book. He's decided to use what he calls flaming monkey heads as his unit of measure on a scale of 1 to 5. Why he chose that I'll never know. He's his father's son, I suppose.

Normally, Christian sits down with me to talk about one of the books he's read during the week. This week, he was right in the middle of the book he wanted to talk about, Percy Jackson and the Olympians: The Lightning Thief, by Rick Riorden. So I didn't post on Wednesday. Trouble was, I wouldn't have an opening until Saturday. No problem, I figured, Christian would be done with the book by then.

Now it's Saturday, and I say to Christian, okay, let's talk about The Lightning Thief. Christian says, "Oh, I finished that Thursday, I want to talk about The Last Olympian." This gets me to thinking, he couldn't have read the other four books in the series in two days, could he? I mean, I know there was no school Thursday and Friday, but...really?

I ask Christian this, and he gives me this look, like geez dad, you're nuts, and says "No, this was the only other one they had left at the library, and I want to talk about this one because it's fresh in my mind."

Fair enough. So here's Christian's take on The Last Olympian, by Rick Riordan.


Here's what Christian says the book is about:

"It is about Percy Jackson who's a regular kid who found out that he's the son of Poseidon. He has a bunch of adventures. In this one he has to defeat Kronos, King of the Titans. A pegasus lands on the hood of his car. It's Percy's pegasus, Blackjack, who's come to take him on a really dangerous mission.

"Percy goes with Blackjack to the Princess Andromeda, the Titans' cruise ship. Percy has to stop them from getting to New York, and the Empire State Building, where Olympus is now located.

"He has a lot of exciting adventures which I can't really tell you about without giving the story away."

Here's what Christian liked best about the book:

"The battle for Olympus. It was very exciting. There was a lot of fighting, and many people were wounded. It kept me hooked. I wanted to see what happened next.

"I like Percy's ability to control the sea or any other water source, and use it to battle enemies. His powers are awesome! I also like that he has a pegasus for a friend. That would be cool."

Was there anything you didn't like about the book?

"I pretty much liked it all. It was an awesome book."

So, how many flaming monkey heads does Christian give The Last Olympian, by Rick Riordan?

Christian gives it 5 out of 5 flaming monkey heads.


3 comments:

  1. Fantastic review! Kids crack me up. I read the whole Percy Jackson series- but I read them in order. I cannot imagine reading a series out of order, unless I read a book in a series that I wasn't aware was part of a series when I started it. Kid just don't care. I think Rick Riordan is a talented author and I saw him speak at Barnes and Noble in Waterbury a few years ago. He even read the first chapter from The Last Olympian to us. I agree with the 5 flaming monkey heads! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't dream of reading a series out of order, either. It goes to show that kids love a good story. They can read a book and enjoy it for its own sake, regardless of what comes before or after.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! Stephanie and I wanted to let you know that we have tagged your blog in a book tag. Stop by our blog to see what it's all about : ) ~ Jess & Stephanie

    ReplyDelete