Thursday, February 16, 2012

Scenes That Inspire #2: Calendria

Hello. Sorry for not posting yesterday. Things have been busy at work, and Christian hadn't finished the book he was goinng to talk about. So, I decided to take a little break. What's Christian Reading? will  appear on Saturday.

Today, I was looking through some pictures that I took before Christmas, and I came upon a couple that I had intended to use in a post one day. Well, today is that day.  Way back in October when I had just started the blog, I wrote a post about some places that had inspired my depiction of Calendria in my book, The Deliverers: Sharky and the Jewel.

There's another place that inspired the geographic layout of  the small fishing village started by retired pirates. I discovered it while on a hike less than half a mile from my house--the bay of Calendria. The first time I saw it was in the summer with the leaves from the trees giving the illusion of high ridges encircling the bay. While this winter picture doesn't quite do it justice, it should still give you the general idea.



I already had the layout of Calendria in my head, but it was amazing to see something that resembled the bay so closely right near my own home. It gave me the idea of a side grotto that Captain Weatherbee's sloop was moored in, and the overlook that Eric and Stig first viewed Calendria from, as you can see here:

:

Now, there are no islands in either the bay or its entrance, but as I sat up there the first time, I could envision the village laid out before me. After that first day, I brought a notebook up there a few times and wrote right where Christian and Abby are sitting in the picture. When I was writing, the place would become Calendria, and there's nothing more inspiring than that.

I think that's why out of all the worlds Eric and company visit, Calendria will always hold a special place in my heart. Not only is it the first place they visited, but it's only a short hike from my house. Maybe somme day, Eric will return...food for thought.

2 comments:

  1. I love going out and finding beautiful views and interesting sights near my house. This gorgeous view is right near me, too! I love the lake- and I will have to take a hike up to that wonderful vantage point! It is so nice to have inspiration right at your fingertips. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a great view, and the hike, while more verticle than horizontal, doesn't take very long at all. Great for kids and dogs.

    ReplyDelete