Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Did You Know? Anne of Green Gables

Well, I'm sorry this post is a little late. My laptop is not liking Blogger today. It won't let me type a post. I finally had the bright idea of switching to our main computer, and it's not giving me any trouble at all.

Anyway, I wanted to give you all a heads up that I won't be posting tomorrow, because I have an officer's meeting at work tomorrow night. We'll learn what Christian's reading on Thursday.

This week's Did You Know? is all about Anne of Green Gables and author Lucy Maude Montgomery. So, enough of this cheerful banter, bring forth the fun facts!





Did You Know?
  • Anne of Green Gables was popular from the start, selling 19,000 copies in the first five months after its release in 1908?
  • It went through ten printings in its first year, and was translated into Swedish in 1909?
  • L.M. Montgomery wrote seven sequels? The eight Green Gables books that Montgomery wrote trace  Anne's life from age 11 to 53.
  • The Green Gables house and farm are real? It is located in Cavendish, Prince Edward Island.
  • The book was originally considered a book for all ages, but over the last 40 years or so has come to be regarded as a children's book?
  • The book is very popular in Japan, and many Japanese couples come to the Green Gables farm to be married?
  • L.M. Montgomery was first published in 1889 when she was 14?
  • Montgomery's grandfather, Donald Montgomery, was a member of the Canadian Senate?
  • When she was five or six, Montgomery nearly died of typhoid fever? Perhaps that's why the disease plays such a prominent role in the book.
  • Montgomery always wanted to be a writer, and wanted to write something that would live beyond her? I think she succeeded nicely, don't you?
  •  

7 comments:

  1. Wow! I just learned a lot! I had no idea there was a real farm and that people actually go there to get married. How cool! I read these books ages ago and recently decided to go back and reread them again soon (sometime in the next year). I really enjoyed this post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, some interesting information there. It's fascinating to learn the stories behind the stories and what influences different authors in their writing. Glad you liked the post!

      Delete
    2. I agree- it is always cool to find out the bnack story behing a book or an author. :)

      Delete
  2. Great interview. I loved these books when I was younger. I didn't know any of the facts that you mentioned. So sorry to hear that you were having problems posting. I hate when that happens- but I am glad you were successful in the end! :)

    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! My posting problem had something to do with my not using Google Chrome. I started using it, and my problem disappeared!

      Delete
  3. It was fun knowing about the farm and how people specially went there to get married. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Claudine. It's fun to learn about facts connected to books and authors! Thanks for reading!

      Delete