Friday, January 27, 2012

A Writer's Week #4: Taking Shape

This week was not without it's challenges. On the work front, there was a lot to do. No time for moss gathering there. At home, there was a lot going on as well--children that needed shuttling back and forth, and helping out around the house.

I have to admit I haven't been too helpful in that department, lately. So I wound up cooking dinner twice this week. I don't think anyone will be asking me to cook so often any time soon. My family's stomachs can only take my cooking once a week, tops.

What I'm trying to convey here is that in a week that was challenging to find spare time to do anything, it was doubly challenging finding the time to write. So, I did the only thing I could do to keep the new book progressing. One day I closed the bedroom door on all the chaos, and wrote.

God bless my wife! She took the bullet for me this week, keeping two children occupied for a few hours while I holed up and typed my little heart out. It was two on one out there, but she held her own.

Because of her sacrifice, I was able to write a chapter and a half. The story now stands in the middle of Chapter 10! It's really starting to round into shape, too. I've made it past most of the introductory part of the story. Most of the introductions to the key players have been made, and I'm starting to discover what makes them tick.


Some things have surprised me. As I noted last week, characters have appeared unexpectedly, and I've discovered the true motives of some, even if Eric and company have not. All in all, I'm pretty pleased with the way the story is progressing to this point. I'm a little closer to knowing what's going to happen, but I'm sure there will be a few more surprises before all is said and done.

It's really a pleasure to write, and I find myself looking forward to every opportunity I get to do just that. Oh for the life of a professional writer. You know what I mean--when writing is your day job, and you can do that for long stretches every day. Well who knows, maybe someday that will be me. For now, though, I'm just happy to be able to write what I can.

Next week promises to be just as hectic, if not more so. I've got my book signing this Sunday for The Deliverers: Sharkey and the Jewel, followed by an hour drive to spend the rest of the day with our China adoption families. Not much chance to write there. I'll be forced to try and write on a weeknight, which is always hazardous. Good intentions give way to other priorities. Oh well, at least I don't have an editor breathing down my neck. I'll let you know how I made out next Friday!

4 comments:

  1. My lovely husband can cook any day he chooses! (He offered one of the days!) I took the kids sleigh riding - kinda fun for us three and needed peace and quiet for Greg! Go Deliverers!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful wife you have! I long for the life of a writer as well- to have many hours to write each day. It is hard to fit everything in on top of teaching, tutoring, and teaching grad school (only the fall semester, but still)! My husband and I don't have any kids yet- but time flies by! My husband is an amazing cook- so I try to get some writing/work done when he is cooking. Some weeks it is easier to find more time to write- but I wish I had some hours each day. Maybe one day! :) Good luck squeezing it all in! Great book signing!

    ReplyDelete